Monday, February 22, 2010

Rouenneries

Some months ago, while on the Hancock's of Paducah website, I was looking at their pages of fabrics-to-come.  There was an example of a quilt, a very basic quilt, pieced from squares and strips from a line of fabric called Rouenneries, designed by French General, a Soho dry-goods shop specializing in things Francais and printed and distributed by Moda.

Normally, I am a bright, clear color fabric sort of gal.  These muted, antique tones don't really do anything for me.  But I was drawn to the quilt and drawn to the fabric.  And I don't know why.  I had seen other French General items and books, but they did not appeal to my personal sense of design - why this one? Imagine my surprise to read that this line of fabric has been one of the fastest selling lines ever produced by Moda.

The kit to make this quilt was going to sell for around $90.00.  Well, I certainly wasn't going to spend that much on someone else's idea of a quilt.  I would just put my own kit together and make it myself.  So, I started collecting fabric, ordering online, shopping locally and going through my stash.  About half of what I purchased online didn't suit; the fabrics were either too blue or too pink, too gray or too yellow.  I finally collected enough to start the quilt.  Believe me, I had spent well over $90.00 by this time.

I gauged the pattern by looking at the finished measurements, 80x80.  I then calculated where they would have been likely to use 2 1/2" strips, 5" squares or 5" strips.  From there I started cutting, then working row by row using my version of Rouenneries.  In the middle of cutting, I took a trip to a quilt show in Fort Lauderdale.  I had the fantastic luck to find a charm square pack and 5" strip pack of the Rouennerie fabrics for 25% off at a vendors booth.  I brought them home to add in to my quilt.

I am almost done piecing the rows and started piecing row 1 to row 2 last night.  I'm planning on making it larger than the specified 80x80 so that it will fit on my king-size bed.  Then I will dream sweet dreams of Rouen, France under my Rouenneries.

2 comments:

Mona Lisa said...

Well I fell in love with Rouennerie too... Have a great time quilting with it. I am and it is my first quilt.
http://monalisacuriosity.blogspot.com/2010/02/project-quilt-french-general-part-1.html
Mona

Angela (aka Angie) L. said...

I can't wait to see the finished product...you are oh so talented!